ELIGIBILITY: The Project is OPEN to artists in a regional area encompassing Nevada and Northern California.
The Reno Arts & Culture Commission (RACC) is seeking proposals from artists for a public art opportunity in the downtown area of Reno.
The Reno Arts & Culture Commission is looking for artists to design artistic banners to be hung on light poles throughout the downtown area. Up to six different artist designs will be selected. The banners will be professionally printed on high-quality vinyl and installed at the City’s expense. The banners will be displayed for up to one-year.
The goals for the project include: creating a unique character for a specific area of town, increasing public awareness of art, supporting local artists, and fostering a sense of place on Reno's streets.
The theme of the artwork is open, however, content should be appropriate for a public space. Artwork will be selected based on the quality of the design and alignment with public art program goals including diversity of subjects and artists. Final selection of artists will be made by the Public Art Committee and the RACC.
SPECIFICATIONS: Selected artist(s) will design and execute one-of-a-kind two dimensional artwork that can be turned into a high-resolution image to be reproduced on vinyl banners. Artists will retain copyright of their work. Designs done on the computer or original artwork (paintings, drawings, prints, etc) will be accepted as long as they can be turned into a high-resolution file. The Arts & Culture Program Assistant will assist with turning accepted original artwork into appropriate files. Please keep in mind the unique shape of the banners. See specifications below for details.
Project budget is $650 to cover the artist fee for each artwork chosen. The production and installation of the vinyl will be covered by the City of Reno / RACC. Artists will have no responsibility beyond providing the image/artwork to be reproduced.
Street light poles throughout the downtown Reno area.
- Resume or list of experience: Current professional resume or list of artistic experience detailing professional artistic accomplishments including artist address, email, and phone number.
- Images: 3 images of previously completed artwork.
- Image List: Include image list with date, size, location, and description of work.
- Proposed project: Visual sketch or rendering of proposed artwork and written description of concept.
August 28, 2022 - Submission due online
September 2022 - PAC / RACC review and selection of artists
October 2022 - Artwork installation
City Artist Program
The City of Reno is now seeking a visual artist to serve as the City Artist for 2022/2023. The mission of this program is to promote visual artists living in Reno, to highlight visual art in the community, and to engage with the public through visual art. The City Artist will also have the opportunity to learn about the local government process and engage with constituents about their art.
Requirements of Candidates:
To be considered for the position of City Artist, an artist must be a Reno resident and be able to complete the duties listed below. This position is open to visual artists.
This is a one year appointment with a stipend of $3,500. Plus potential purchase of a piece of the artist’s work, up to $3,000, to become part of the City of Reno Metro Art Collection. Duties would include:
- Exhibition of artist’s work in Metro Gallery
- Curation of an exhibition in the Metro Gallery
- Two public talks: A public talk about artist’s art/solo exhibition, a talk about the curated exhibition
- City Council presentation/public comment
- One additional community engagement requirement that fulfills the City of Reno’s Arts & Culture Commission’s strategic goals on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Provide a consultation with the next year’s City Artist
General timeline of appointment:
- Begins 9/2022
- Solo exhibition in Metro Gallery between 1/2023 - 8/2023
- First public talk 9/2022 - 1/2023
- Curated exhibition in Metro Gallery between 1/2023 - 8/2023
- Second public talk 2/2023 - 8/2023
- Council presentation 9/2022 - 12/2022
The selection process will be facilitated by the Reno Arts & Culture Commission (RACC) and their Public Art Committee (PAC). The committee will use the criteria of past community engagement, distinguished achievements, quality of work, strength of gallery curation proposal, appropriateness of work for a public space, and ability to present and advance visual art in the public domain.
Please submit the following items as part of your application packet (documents should be in PDF format and images in JPG format):
- Artistic resume with contact information, exhibitions and relevant experience
- Work samples
- Cover letter explaining interest in the position
- Curated show proposal (cannot be a solo show of artist’s own work nor include work previously shown in Metro Gallery)
- Letter of recommendation (at least one letter is required but you may submit up to two)
Please submit a completed application by 11:59 pm pm on September 5, 2022 via Submittable.
If you have any questions, please contact Megan Berner, Arts & Culture Manager, at 775-326-6333 or email@example.com.